Some art

Karen Forbes Solar pavilion in St Andrew's Square. It looks great from the outside and I'm not going to see the inside if I don't get there when it's open.

Edinburgh Art Festival runs roughly concurrently with the other festivals and I always make sure I see as much of this as I can fit in. Of course, I prioritise work by women as well as indulging in the odd exhibition that takes my fancy as I wander past tempting or intriguing posters.

Sometimes it's all a bit over my head and I work hard to remind myself that art is a broad category. There is something for everyone and the last thing I want is to be one of those encouraged to sneer at modern art by stick in the mud traditionalists.

Katri Walker has an installation titled North West in an old ambulance depot. It was the idea of claiming that sort of space which attracted me to the exhibition. Which was not that easy to find.

There was a film about someone making a film about a group of avid Aberdeenshire chappies in their cowboy role play group. There was a warmth and charm to this that counter-balanced my usual knee jerk assumptions about men having far too much disposable time and income. There was an absence of women; maybe their partners didn't fancy any roles traditional to women in the wild west.

What's not to like about Russian icons? An Edinburgh collector welcomed people into his front room to display a selling exhibition of his Russian icons. Ooooh! I want! Realistically though, they would be wasted in my hovel.

No comments: