Hoped for Connor MacLeod, got Para Handy

Could be the story of my life!
The much heralded Gathering took place in Edinburgh this weekend and by all accounts was a terrific event. When I first heard the title of this Homecoming event naturally, I pictured Christopher Lambert in his most gorgeous and best role – Highlander! The actual Gathering 2009, was more Scottish than the Scots and was aimed at attracting the Diaspora, rather than indigenous fantasy fans. Sword dances rather than supernatural sword fights.
http://www.clangathering.org/

Escaping this crushing disappointment, I headed to Glasgow. The Clyde was full of vessels, civil and naval, both old and new. The sword-fighting theme persisted, with pirate ships booming canons and swashing their buckles in front of the BBC building next to the Glasgow Science Centre.
Then I spotted the Vital Spark. Oh bliss, such memories of the Para Handy stories and the original programmes of my childhood. However, I'm told that some idiot wiped the tapes of the old programmes. Not all is lost as the remakes are fine, proving that it is not always the case that there can be only one!

No comments: