Festival fireworks

On Sunday I trundled up Calton Hill, as I am wont to do anytime there is a chance of standing with a crowd and watching some kind of spectacle or other. This time was in order to see the end of the festival fireworks. Radio Forth were kindly broadcasting the concert from Princes Street Gardens onto the hill so the assembled multitudes could listen as well as gasp in amazement at the bangs and sparks.

"The Scottish Chamber Orchestra Chorus joins the Scottish Chamber orchestra for a rousing night of some of Handel’s most famous works. The technical and artistic wizards of Pyrovision once again choreograph a stunning display to match Handel’s triumphant, exuberant music composed for royal occasions or in praise of God. "

Programme:
Zadok the Priest
Music for the Royal Fireworks
Arrival of the Queen of Sheba (Solomon)
Hallelujah Chorus (Messiah

It lasted about 50 minutes and as ever, the timing of the pyrotechnics and music was fabulous.
I forgot to take my camera, so I made do with my Blackberry which is really not all that great as you can see! I mucked about with some of the pics to bring up more of the detail, but this is as good as it got.
The best thing about it all, was the friendly crowd and that the rain stayed off until everyone was slowly making their way down the hill. And it was really quite warm. I'd dressed for the usual conditions up there - howling gale and extreme windchill factor, so I was rather overheated. Better that than shivering, although even then, I couldn't keep my hand steady to take more than a few pics that were not completely wobbly.

I suspect the photographs of fireworks at this link are better than mine.

No comments: