Weekend in Madrid

Could have titled this post "Five go Mad for Madrid", as I accompanied four of my chums to this city for a long weekend in the sun. I cannot rave on enough about this wonderful city. The criteria for selecting our weekend was to go somewhere none of us had previously visited; Madrid fitted the bill and exceeded our expectations for a short city break.

The weather was perfect as it was consistently sunny and warm enough to walk about and see the sites without every being overly hot or dropping below comfortable in the evenings. When the sun was a little too bright, every avenue had shady trees to sit under and endless little cafes to sample.

I already loved white Rioja and was delighted that this became a favourite with the other wine drinkers. Although, I also found good Albarino at a few cafes which meant I really didn't get round to trying the lager, but it had its fans too, particularly lager with lemon. Being a city, there was no problem finding good veggie food as well as a great range of tapas for all tastes.

However, it is the architecture that is so special. and although holiday snaps are tedious at best, I've added a few here. I just wish I was a better photographer, as I simply cannot do the views justice.

Gran Via, the very busy street our hotel was on. Very central so we could walk practically everywhere.
The Palace - hosting a state visit, but we never found out who was being honoured.

Big hotels with curious history. We were informed that Mata Hari stayed in the Palace Hotel.
The city has many beautiful churches, but we only saw round the Cathedral.
Cathedral organ pipes

Madrid has an abundance of art galleries and museums. We only had time for a speedy visit to one.

The Prado

I'm not sure how long it would take to see everything I'd want to see here. I had made a list of 'must-see's' and managed most of them. I was most impressed with the three Clara Peeters, and The Garden of Earthly Delights (Bosch).
http://www.spanisharts.com/prado/peeters/bio_peeters.htm

No comments: