Re-activating the blog

First post for ages and only because it's coming into frenetic festival time here in Edinburgh.  I have set myself the goal of going to something in every festival over the next month.

As there are probably more festivals coming up than there is time to go to, I might inadvertently miss one or more festivals, but the main source of info on the whole festival listings is Edinburgh Festivals.

This can get costly, and I'm planning to prioritise free events where possible unless it is something unmissable.  The Free Fringe is growing in size each year and there is always the ploy of standing around in the High Street and picking up the odd free ticket to something.

I've found that practising spontaneity and grabbing any chance of free tickets has almost always resulted in attending shows I'd never have chosen simply on the description in the programme.  I have only once walked out of a show I'd been given free tickets to, and that was because the comic was so cringingly bad, I could no longer stand the pain. Every other free opportunity has been at least ok but several have been memorable.

Today is the begining of the Edinburgh Art Festival, so this evening I aim to visit one exhibition from the programme.  After that, I'll try to pop into the nearest art venue whenever I have time and am out and about round the city.

Looking at the programme there is far more than I could ever visit in a month, so it's fortunate that some exhibitions carry on into September and beyond.

Tomorrow the Edinburgh Jazz Festival starts. This is more of a challenge for me since I really cannot be doing with jazz music.  I'll study the programme and see what I could realistically go to without behaving badly and moaning throughout the performance.

It's especially annoying as the only event I fancied is the Jazz Flashmob on Saturday when I'm working.

Lets see how far I get in meeting my goal. I'll update as and when.

No comments: