Costume Exhibition

The Heroes and Heroines exhibition at Leeds City Museum was a diverting way to spend about 45 minutes looking at a variety of costumes from TV and film. There were also some examples of clothes from earlier periods too.

I took a few pictures of the costumes which I found particularly beautiful. The way in which the work involved creating the clothes was well explained on the cards beside the exhibits and this added to my enjoyment. 


Not being any kind of seamstress, I learned a fair amount just reading through the descriptions of techniques for ageing some of the outfits and the level of quality that differs depending on whether the costume is for TV or film.  I wondered if the advent of HD TV will mean everything that is produced will need to be of a higher standard to cope with the detail HD TV can pick up.
Miss Matty's costume from Cranford.


My favourite of the 'real' clothes, a 1950's coral pink cocktail dress.

I didn't take note of where all of the outfits were used, but I've chosen those which seemed most sumptuous, and those photographs which turned out best.
The exhibition is on till the new year, but I doubt I'll return to find out who wore what and in what context.

No comments: