Art & cake

Patriot Halls Gallery in Stockbridge held an open weekend where resident artists display their arts and crafts where they actually produce them. This space containing several floors of artist’s studios, was previously the Co-op bakery. The building is probably unique in the city and has been saved as a resource for artists rather than becoming yet another mundane residential development.

My friend K, who is gifted, talented and just all round producer of wonderful objects invited me there to see her latest work. She sweetened this invite with offers of tea and cake – not that she needed to, I’m always happy to see her work.

There are so many delightful artists in this gallery and some of the crafts, especially the jewellery were tempting, but I resisted! K, creates handmade books and voluptuous pots which are smoke fired and completely tactile. She also had on display, her latest paintings of boats on a Scottish island which I have to admit to never having heard of. My descriptions of her art are inadequate, but until she gets her act together to create a website that’s all I can give.

When all around there is talk of credit crunches and the mishandling of global finances, sadly it is the artists who feel the effects possibly soonest of all. Where money is tight it is logical to cut down on the things that otherwise are desirable, and new art becomes an unjustifiable luxury. But all that I have learned in attending Artists Way and other creative groups maintains humans need more than the minimum; we also need beauty and colour and the inspiration that wonderful, handmade objects bring when we surround ourselves with them.

At least I had the pleasure of seeing many such inspiring arts and crafts today, but I can’t help reflect how difficult it is for those who seek to live by their art.

http://www.patriothallgallery.co.uk/index.htm

2 comments:

m said...

ackk ! I missed this but at home coughing anyway so perhaps a good thing I didn't come and spread germs.

m

Jes said...

Poor you! I only heard about it on Saturday evening but I was glad I made the effort to go. Hope your cough gets better soon.
Take care,
Jes