SFX for the Cardinal

I often admit that my mind is affected by the quantity and quality of the science fiction I read. But it does mean that medical experiments and ‘life sciences’ do not phase me – much!

Prolonged reading about cloning, aliens and future fantasy societies means that I’m likely to be more open to modifying humans than those who freak out at the thought of cloning.

Conversely, maybe even perversely, I am not in favour of GM crops. This is because while we can elect (maybe eventually) to clone ourselves, this is going to be limited and unlike crops, individual humans cannot be released into the atmosphere to pollute existing strains of crops. Or at least not without some even more far-fetched scenarios a la Boys from Brazil. However, I wonder if that is what our own home-grown auld boy in a frock is thinking when he considers life sciences?

I feel it would do everyone a huge favour if the Cardinal was given a lifetime subscription to SFX, the science fiction magazine.

http://www.sfx.co.uk/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boys_from_Brazil_(film)

No comments: