Dreichness Abounds

It is grey and dismal this week, so here are some photos I took on Sunday afternoon on a ramble along Longniddry Bents. Hope they are cheering.


Looking across the river Forth to Fife

Parts of this area have SSSI designation, probably because of the birds which come here. I did not have my 'Girls Book of Birds - Easy identification version' with me, so I can't report what species I saw, but one lot had distinctive red legs and long beaks, so might have been something interesting.

Cockenzie power station with Arthur's Seat in the background
There was a surprising amount of heat in the sun. Not enough to take off any layers, except gloves, but certainly no chill breeze to cause me to scurry back to the car before I was ready to.



Looking downriver with the sun at my back

Someone from the Guardian appears to have visited the week before and didn’t get quite such glorious sun. They did know what they were talking about when they saw various birds.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/nov/02/longniddry-bents-east-lothian-ducks

Longniddry is on the John Muir Way which is 73km long. I reckon I did 73 yards along it until I found a way down onto the beach. I’ve walked another few yards of it a year or two back when I wandered around Yellowcraigs. As a confirmed non-rambler, I don’t imagine I’ll walk the whole lot anytime soon!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Muir_Way

No comments: