Fringing on a Saturday Night

It's not that usual for me to go see events in the official festival, so this year should hold a few treats as Sig Other has chosen one or two he fancies. He seemed surprised I would so readily see Philip Glass and his ensemble not knowing I've liked PG since first hearing his music when I was fairly young. I find it appealing, but being so musically untutored I would not be able to explain why.

Koyaanisqatsi (1983) Hopi for 'life out of balance' is the first in the Qatsi Trilogy. Sig Other reassuringly noted it is not about something without specific meaning or value. This averted much speculation on my part that would otherwise have completely distracted me from the experience of the film and music.

Definitely the best image from the film.

The Ensemble was a treat to listen to, in particular the vocals of Lisa Bielawa. Powaqqatsi and Naqoyaqatsi the other two films in the trilogy were on subsequent evenings, however, I don't think I would have fully appreciated the immersion in Philip Glass. Maybe I'll see them another time.

Because there is so much on at the fringe, instead of leaving Koyaanisqatsi and spending time reflecting on the impact this had on my, I wandered into another show.

Kiss of the Red Menace, a Tribute to Kander and Ebb was by no means a bad choice. Melody La Rouge and her four piece backing group put on a cheery performance of show songs from Chicago and Cabaret and some others which I'd not come across.  And if we hadn't gone then, we'd have missed it as this was her final show for this fringe.

Indeed the fringe throws up opportunities for strange juxtapositions. It's what makes it an exciting month. And exhausting!

No comments: