Getting through the backlog

Qing Cheng

My original plan was to write up the shows I'd seen, the day after, but this timetable has already slipped. Multiple postings will help catch up.

Friday, and a complete departure from my usual fringing. The Usherhall was the venue for Qing Cheng a delightful Chinese musical. I can sum it up with one statement. Eat your heart out Loyd-Webber.

Magical costumes, by the designer from the film Crouching Tiger something or other Dragon.  The folks dressed as bamboo really tickled me, but the flowers were so graceful and delicate.
An ancient love story spanning across centuries, brought to life as a spectacular musical featuring lavish designs and special effects. Qing Cheng is a beautiful story originated from Dujiangyan, a UNESCO World Heritage site, and also home to giant panda. The first major musical representation of Taoist philosophy, Qing Cheng combines traditional Chinese melodies with fresh compositions, martial arts with modern dance, and an ancient story told against a stunning backdrop of multimedia projections
I'd estimate about a quarter to a third of the audience was Chinese and it was a pleasure to sit amongst giggling enthusiastic, even star struck young Chinese women. Almost compensated for the dour German chappie next to me who didn't clap at the end.

I'd tell people to go, but it's finished today, so you've missed it.

No comments: