Glamour

At the creative group this week we made a collage by flicking through a selection of magazines and tearing out pictures that meant something to us in some way. Then glued them onto white backing paper. When these were complete we did what the tutor calls 'show and tell'. This is about briefly explaining what and why you've created with your collage. And the group members can offer their perceptions on your exhibit.

I found myself in minimalist mood using straight edged pics cut out of one glamorous women's magazine of the type I'd only read in the hairdresser's. This seemed to tap into some unconscious desire for glamour which I can't say I was previously aware of. Anyone who knows how I present myself in day to day life would not use that as a description!

The curious outcome of doing spontaneous acts of creativity is that you find insights rising up from the unconscious. So, I have pinned up my collage, no doubt inviting dubious comments from my daughter when she sees it, but I'm quite happy with it and anticipate more inner discoveries.

Someone asked me what glamour meant to me and I could only think of exotic travel and some limited ideas of glamour located in the power-dressing glossy world of Dynasty and Dallas from the 80's. I think I need to find a C21 version for my next decade. Although, by some ghastly synchronicity, when I engine-searched 'shoulder pads' I find the damn things are returning just like a bad recession. Who knew that my unconscious mind had tapped into the zeitgeist of the fashion world?

Unexpectedly, the Daily Mail had an interesting comment recycling fashions and the need for women to reassert themselves periodically, in society.

"Whenever women have felt the need to assert themselves, the width of their shoulders has increased exponentially."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-443101/The-return-shoulder-pad.html

While this week the Telegraph contrasts what celebs are dressed up in with fashion advice for the rest of us.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion/4601936/80s-revival-shoulder-pads-are-a-key-trend-for-springsummer-09.html


Then again, I'd look as cheerless as this if I was starving myself for a career walking around in sticky out shoulders.

No comments: