Moaning meanderings

The Parliament building has numerous quotes inscribed on its walls, however, none are by women.
http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/vli/holyrood/faq/answers/art007.htm

There are discussions now about adding a new quote and some some bloggers are campaigning to have a new quote by a Scottish woman writer. Sounds perfectly reasonable, after all there are dozens past and present whose work could provide as many quotes as desired.

This list contains many favourites, especially Liz Lochhead.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Scottish_women_writers

While I’m in moan-mode, I have to mutter viciously about the Gormley installation in Leith. I really love the Angel of the North, but are there no Scottish women sculptors whose work should be commissioned?
http://news.scotsman.com/edinburgh/The-iron-men-cometh-as.5063460.jp

I can’t think of any working right now, and welcome any info about current Scottish women sculptors. There certainly were famous Scottish women sculptors in Victorian times whose work is discussed in this document:
http://sculpturejournal.lupjournals.org/uploads/wwwsculpturejournalorg/gratis/2.pdf
I especially like the picture of Mary Grant's St Margaret and the Dragon.

I can't leave this subject without recommending Ellen Galford’s fictional sculptor in The Fires of Bride, (ISBN-10: 0932379419). The story concerns the exploits of the main character, Maria, a visiting sculptor who falls in love with a remote Hebridean-type island – the outermost island of the Utter Utters. The island is woman-friendly with a history of the Sisters of Bride worshipping the One True Goddess and women fighting off male marauders since Viking times. Completely hilarious and worth tracking down a copy.

2 comments:

m said...

can I back you up on the anti gormley ? The waters of Leith are incredibly beautiful need no beautification of statues etc and it really sticks in my craw to have the art work of a man who uses his own flaming body as the template for all his bloody works. I think middle aged and older representations of white men in Edinburgh are blooday excessive as it is.

Do read the rest of Ellen's oevre - she's in my Yiddish class - Edinburgh size of a pea

Jes said...

Yes, Edinburgh is pea-sized! And I have read most of Ellen's work, but F of B is my favourite.
I did not realise Gormley used his own body in that way, so thanks (I think) for enlightening me!