Musical Monday

I was supposed to be back to work yesterday and I did get down to clearing the backlog - after a fashion.  But I merged a trip to the bank with an opportunistic detour into a lunchtime concert.

Awfully glad that I did, as this was one of the highlights so far this fringe. Yes, I know I'm waxing enthusiastic about lots of things, but bare with me this time. 

St Mary's Cathedral in Palmerston Place is holding a series of lunchtime recitals during the festival, as well as tours of the famous song school murals.  Yesterday the recital was provided by Miyuki Kato who studied piano at the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama.

The programme included Tchaikovsky, Chopin, and Liszt.  I found her performance of Cantique d'amour by Liszt both moving and stirring. In fact her whole performance was a delight and I made the right decision in my diversion into the cathedral instead of rushing back to my desk.

Early evening, I went to Hildegard of Bingen and the Living Light at the new to me venue in Surgeon's Hall.  Written and performed by mezzo soprano Linn Maxwell, this is the story of the famous 12th century German Abbess.  Hildegard lived to her 80's becoming skilled in herbalism, composing, and sending letters to the 4 men who were pope during her lifespan.

Neglected for centuries, Hildegard has been rediscovered and her books translated, her songs recorded and finally her extraordinary work celebrated in the 21st century.
Linn Maxwell gave a competent performance of this story, but her it was her singing that stood out most for me.

No comments: