Preview events



Yesterday was such a nice day for heading out and about in my quest for fringe experiences and a successful one too.

I've downloaded an app for my iphone by the name of Theatre Ninjas who exist to mop up unsold tickets and alert fringe goers to these.

I got a ticket for Fair Trade a play using verbatim accounts from women trafficked into the UK for men to rape (for pay of course). I like to think I know a bit about this sort of issue and that I can watch without getting upset. Not this time.  The cast were marvellous, and portrayed the callousness of the blokes who sell the women and the blokes who buy them in a wordless, intense scene that should penetrate even the dullest over-privileged libertarian's consciousness.

After an hour, I emerged drained but in admiration of the whole production. I'm not the only one - it was sold out.

Returning to what will be counted as normality in Edinburgh for a few weeks, I was blinking in the daylight when handed a free ticket for a song and dance show on at the Pleasance in the evening. Reel to Real is a spectacular uplifting joyous experience loved by the audience last night who gave it a standing ovation.

Superb singing and dancing and energy. I knew I'd been entertained by the end of it.

In between times I'd gone to see Katalin Hausel's Exhibition at Forest Fringe which I wish I'd taken more time over as I simply didn't 'get' it properly. It was a case of "I know I like it, but why?"

I took the above photo in the evening when the overcast clouds had moved on and the city was bathed in this beautiful blue. This is a view of Calton Hill from Jeffery Street.

No comments: