Food before I forget

Before I forget what interesting, and usually tasty things I’ve made recently I am writing them down. This is partly why I created this blog as I seldom remember what I cook or bake and then can't repeat the good things. Although I get very bored eating the same food too often, but there are times when it is easier just to repeat rather than invent. And there are times when beans on toast is easiest of all.

Lemon curd pudding
Ginger bread I’d baked a few days ago was getting stale. I sliced it thinly, spread it with lemon curd and steeped it in egg custard mixture before baking in a low oven. It made a lot more than I anticipated, so I’ll be eating it for a while, as I don’t think it could be frozen.

Corn bread
Mix ratio of 1:4, SR flour and quick cook polenta with a small handful of finely chopped sun dried tomatoes. Then whisk one egg with some milk and a Tbs ground nut oil. Combine all before baking in a moderate oven in a liberally greased pie dish.

I made it drier than I’d have liked, but the good thing was that it lasted ok in the fridge for a couple of days. I ate it hot with yellow courgette ribbons sauted in olive oil with roasted pine nuts, fresh herb pesto and Grand Padano shavings.

The fresh herb pesto was easily made from flat leaf parsley, mint and coriander, with a clove of garlic, and seasoning, moistened with olive oil. I used my mezullina to chop it all, which can be a bit of a faff, but at other times is a productive use of aggression.

Adzuki beans
One of my favourite pulses is adzuki beans. They are apparently very yang (or do I mean yin?), which makes them very good for you. I boiled them up till softish and added black cardamom pods (2 or 3), one kaffir lime leaf and cooked till done. Then I added veg stock and coriander seeds. I topped this vague approximation of a shepherdess pie with parsnip and carrot mash seasoned with fenugreek seeds.

The most surprising aspect of this culinary adventure, was Sig Other’s reaction; it seems this was one of the best things I’ve ever cooked him. I considered it merely passed muster.

Choco tofu pud
Being easily seduced by any brown powder designated cocoa, I much preferred this inspired experiment to the above: silken tofu (bought in error), rather more date syrup than calorifically wise, two vastly overfilled tablespoons Freetrade, organic and otherwise saintly cocoa powder, oh, and a little butter for sheen. Melt date syrup, cocoa powder and butter and whizz together with silken tofu. Top with chopped nuts – hazel nut for preference. Cool in the fridge until your willpower gives up. The good thing about this is that it doesn’t last; therefore it is wasteful not to eat it all within two/three days, thereby absolving you from all calorific sinfulness.

Baked Samosas
Sublime! I used a pastry made from 50:50 plain flour and gram flour with a teaspoon of turmeric. Cut into rounds, and fill with potato, red onion, fresh coriander, mint and ginger with spices such as mustard seed, amchur, garam massalla and anything else you fancy. Seal the edges of the samosas and bake in a medium oven for not very long.

I had intended these to be my contribution to a visit to my mother and daughter, but I ate one to test as soon as they came out of the oven, and sort of kept going. However, as my daughter called to inform me she’d made an After Eight cheesecake no one is going to notice a shortfall in the samosas.

No comments: