Foodly discussions

Being veggie is a challenge at this time of year. This is about creating a feast that has to make do without the centrepiece of a large cremated bird. Starting from an attitude of deficit is not helpful so I prefer to turn this around and look at the positives of creating something (probably) no one else is eating.

For many years, I liked the sheer unplannedness of buying whatever took my fancy and getting into the kitchen early in the morning and while then Sig Other wrestled big bird to the ground and spread salmonella far and wide, I’d assemble bits and pieces around me and see what happened. I realise that this is too haphazard for most people, but it worked for me.

These days I’m still adjusting to the fact that current Sig Other wants more than a say in what we eat festively. Being a complete foodie whose interest in cooking began at university, he can teach me a fair amount, but I’m not used to sharing my spontaneous ‘see what happens’ technique with a forward planner.

Here’s what happens: At some point in December one or the other of us will make mention of xmas dinner. We’ll independently have a look online for inspiration. I’ll come up with a list of what we don’t want and make suggestions of what I do think we should have. Sig Other will shudder delicately at some of my ideas, I’ll passionately defend them and then give in.

I’ll do the shopping then he will spend most of the day in the kitchen creating something fabulous while I get relegated to the starter. Pudding is always traditional and we never manage to eat it till next day as we are too stuffed.

I do have some rules for xmas dinner that I have maintained throughout my veggie life:
No pasta
No mushrooms
No tomato sauce
No rice
No cheese
No pastry
No curry/Italian/Chinese/other usual stuff I eat

The reasons for the above are that those foods are the staples of a veggie diet, especially when eating out, so there is no way we’re having them at xmas. The odd occasion I’ve broken my rules is when I’ve been staying with people or on holiday when it is just too difficult to insist on them, and sometimes, I’ve been provided with an M&S concoction that has been adequate.

This year, I’ve got thoughts of celeriac mash and sherry gravy. Discussions about what to go with this have stalled. I normally don’t want pastry, but I bought some little tart tins from Habitat and haven’t yet used them, so I’m considering what to make in them. I began exploring the idea of savoury frangipane as a base on which to lay a vegetable such as fennel. Now, frangipane is almonds and sugar which is in gooey sweet confections, but I think it can be made savoury possibly with chestnut puree. Sig Other has taken agin my idea, and is adamant that this will not go with sherry gravy. Ok, I tend to agree on that point, but I’m sure my idea has possibilities and he’s not made an alternative suggestion yet.

I’m completely stumped for ideas for the starter as soup is too filling and I’ve done everything I can think of with chicory in previous years.

The Vegetarian Society has a useful website with xmas food ideas.

http://www.vegsoc.org/cordonvert/recipes/christmas.html

I avoid American vegan/veggie sites as they all seem to have unhealthy connections to Peta, the woman-hating extremists. These are the people who seem to think that exploiting women is ethical as long as it gets the message over about saving animals – wrong!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog on being a veggie at Christmas has hit the zeitgeist, as the Guardian did a mini-special today. You may have seen the articles, but here are the links just in case:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2008/dec/17/christmas-vegetarian-alternative

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2008/dec/17/vegetarian-christmas-dinner-video-recipe

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2008/dec/17/vegetarian-christmas-dinner-allegra-mcevedy

The recipe in the last article one sounds great to me but I'm afraid it will fall foul of your 'no mushrooms' rule (does your rule exclude Quorn as well?).

The first article mentions Macsween veggie haggis (http://www.macsween.co.uk) which you wrote about in your Saturday, 22 November 2008 blog 'Fake food and fatuous reminiscences'.

Look forward to reading your eventual chosen menu.

Jes said...

Yeah, I noticed the Guardian stuff after I'd posted this yesterday. Quorn doesn't fit into the mushroom ban, but I tend not to use Quorn for celebration dishes as I eat so much of it anyway.

Sig Other muttered about the post and pointed out that when I asked for pilaff one xmas, he made it likewise when I wanted roulade, he made that. True, and these were tremedous and so I await further discussions and the eventual choice which I will blog.