Seedy Snacking

I'm writing the long list of provisions I will need for the forthcoming feast, and many that I just think I'll need. Of course, the shops are only closed for one day and really, it is not as though I am incapable of surviving until they open again by modifying whatever I'd planned to make. And if it is unplanned, then living on the edge recipe-wise is an interesting challenge.

I'm putting off the shopping until I can't put it off any longer. It is unedifying to see, often fairly elderly ladies grabbing the last brussles sprouts in some kind of frenzy. But I suppose I better do it soonish.

Storing all this will tax the dimensions of my rather compact fridge which is stuffed with nuts and seeds and dried fruit as well as bottles and jars of things that people keep telling me I could keep in a cupboard. But I think lots of things need to be in the fridge, especially when the central heating is on in case it all goes a bit off.

So, I thought I'd try to make some space by using up some of the nuts and seeds by making something to snack on.

Ingredients:
(handful of everything unless otherwise specified)

pumpkin seeds

sunflower seeds

chopped mixed nuts

linseeds (soaked in boiling water for 15 mins then drained)

sesame seeds

3 tsp pomegranate seeds

1 tsp cumin seeds

1 tbs dark tahini

1 dessertspoon tamari

1 oz melted butter

Method
Mix tamari, tahini and butter then mix in all the rest. Put into a baking tray and into a low oven for 10-15 minutes till it smells roasted and allow to cool before trying to divide into little squares.
Next time, I'll try other flavours like tamarind paste and probably increase the butter content to make it firmer and also spread it out more thinly to make it crisper.

2 comments:

m said...

sounds delish - I know that the place just shuts down for one day really but even I made an emergency visit to the central library for books yesterday. The horror oh the horror of running out of reading matter!

Just nipping to scotmid for milk, eggs and cheese basics. Incase Leith becomes snow bound...

Jes said...

Oh yes, I can relate to that! Being without something to read is dreadful!
I'm not sure the forecast is for snow hereabouts, but if it was, you'd have gotten good odds at the bookies!!