More festive food

Feeling enthused, I made buckwheat blueberry pancakes for brunch this morning. These are gluten free and somewhat wholesome as I only added three tsp castor sugar.

Buckwheat flour
Baking powder
Xanthan gum
Blueberries
Castor sugar
Glug of carnola oil
Egg
Milk to mix

I cooked these on the hob in my frying pan which needs replaced! I used spray oil to lubricate the pan. I keep finding more and more uses for this handy product!

I had intended to go to the sales today to get a new frying pan, but the flu still has a grip on me and the idea of going out into the frost defeated my spirits, but saved my credit card any more strain by avoiding them. Although, I’d hoped at some point to get to the Pier which has gone into administration to buy more serving dishes (not that I need them) and I’m more irked by that than the travesty of Woolies, as I’d intended to save up over the next year to treat myself to one of their dark wood bedroom furniture sets to replace the boring white IKEA stuff I’ve had for ages. Well, that is not to be!

Much more annoying is that I am missing drinks with K whose 40th is today. I am also becoming weary of being told to go to the doc. It’s flu, it’s a virus and there is not a lot the GP can do!

Sig Other is making asparagus risotto to tempt my appetite tonight. To go with this, I managed to rescue some marginal radicchio by marinating it in my best olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, chopped thyme and garlic before shoving in the oven to bake/roast for a while. I saved the remaining three persimmons I’d purchased for xmas dinner starter by sautéing in butter for a moment, sloshing in Havana Club rum and orange zest then baking in the oven before sprinkling toasted coconut on top.

http://www.havana-club.com/
Interesting site! Apparently the Yanks can't get this in their country as they are still in the huff with the Cubans. Eejits!

No comments: