Impending Sogginess

More cookin’! It was the impending sogginess of the mushrooms wot persuaded me to have a bit of a cook-in this evening. That and the rain and the thought that autumn is approaching.

I’d bought far too many veggies in the supermarket so I knew they needed culinary attention. When I looked in the fridge I saw that the damn mushrooms were going soggy – Sainsbury’s you have got to get a grip about the quality of your mushrooms. This keeps happening to me, that I buy mushrooms, get them home and the next day they are mush minus the ‘shroom.

I got inspired and had a go at some new ideas. First I dug out the pearl barley I’d bought in anticipation of soups and broths and got that cooking in a pot. Then some new potatoes. Then I lined up the spices, herbs and flavourings.

Next I peeled rather a lot of mushrooms. I cannot bear not to peel them, but don’t care if others leave them unpeeled – what the eye doesn’t see and all that.

Eventually and with the help of my Edith Piaf CD I got three good meals to freeze.

1. Mushroom, mustard & barley
This became mushrooms in olive oil, Dijon mustard, dried tarragon and barley and a tiny bit of garlic. Season to taste with bouillon powder. Most of it didn’t reach the freezer it was so good. I’m really pleased with this experiment.

2. Some kind of saag
Grape seed oil with a selection of chilli flakes, coriander powder, cardamom pod, garam massala and anything else reachable on my spice rack, as well as a veggie stock cube. Add cooked potatoes, raw mushrooms, fry for a bit, then add spinach. Cook till it’s done. I made it quite dry as I intend to serve it with naan.

3. Proto-tortilla
Ran out of steam before the end of this. I sautĂ©ed carrot, yellow pepper, and orange pepper in oil. Added chilli flakes (guess who forgot to buy fresh chillies) then added stock and spinach. I remembered seeing a cookery programme that recommended adding some ground coriander and a pinch of ground cinnamon to this type of dish, so those went in too with veggie liquid stock. Tomorrow I’ll add beans and wrap it in tortillas, cover in spicy tomato sauce and grated cheese bake in the oven then scoff.

This lot should feed me for a few days, although it is mostly destined for the freezer. But this time I will label it as I seem convinced, even in the face of all evidence to the contrary, that I will remember what is in an anonymous freezer box or bag. It makes defrosting more of an adventure than necessary.


Links


I went back to insert the links to an earlier post as promised. I only added these at the end of the post. One day I will learn how to insert links in the text.





No comments: