Weekend wanderings

For some time now, I have been interested in increasing my creativity. This prompted me to join an Artists Way group which was based around the book of that name by Julia Cameron. The exercises in the book are designed to help bring out your creativity by nurturing it, especially through ‘Artist’s Dates’. These are activities, usually done on your own which ‘feed’ your creativity wellsprings.

I try to fit in as many as I can but this tends to be sporadic in my case, however, I had a fairly inspiring weekend. On Saturday I tasted my way around the farmers market, eating all the veggie and sweet things on offer, before going along to watch a Tai Chi demonstration.

I followed this up with a visit to the National Library of Scotland exhibition of 500 years of Scottish Printing. The efforts the exhibitors have made to include some women’s printing history added to the relevance of the materials on display. There was one excerpt on a wall describing a woman’s letter to the legal body of the day asking to have her first marriage annulled as she was forced into it and the scoundrel absconded soon after learning her folks wouldn’t settle any money on her. She subsequently heard he’d been killed and married some one else. Predictably, aforementioned scoundrel turned up again. But! The story ran out before the end so I don’t know what happened!

According to the NLS website blog, the first book to be printed in Scotland that was written by a woman, was Ane Godlie Dreame (Edinburgh, 1603) by Elizabeth Melville, Lady Colville of Culross.




On Sunday I went to Threipmuir Reservoir for a walk and muttered constantly at myself for not bringing my camera to photograph the views across the Pentlands in the early autumn light. I had been doing so well remembering to photograph places I go on walks this year, but maybe I need to leave the camera somewhere obvious so I see it before leaving home!

The drawback to walks in the country is the mud. The walk out to the reservoir was wet, muddy and splashy from happy dogs chasing sticks through puddles spattering me with even more mud. Also, why do I wear my best jeans for these occasions? It just makes me moan, but I did enjoy being outside the city for a change.

http://www.theartistsway.com/

http://www.nls.uk/events/printing-exhibition/index.html

http://www.geo.ed.ac.uk/scotgaz/features/featurefirst2630.html

No comments: