Inchoate urge

I have an inchoate urge to do some knitting now the days are shortening, and in the distant past I recall being a more than proficient knitter. I can make this claim in great confidence as no examples of my knitting are now extant! This prompted an online search for fractal knitting after mentioning this urge to significant other who was once promised a fractal jersey. He cannot recall who offered this but I took it upon myself to look into the creative possibilities.

Fractals are features of mathematics often seen as arcane by the anti-logicians amongst us. They tend to be mentioned by those who enjoy describing the Fibonacci Sequence and casually tossing around references to recursive algorithms.

Mathematicians assert their inability to describe fractals in Euclidean geometry, but fractal analysis can be done using computers. There are links in all this to sacred geometry which is concerned with the patterns of monoliths, shells or even the harmonies in music. In other words there are certain designs which appear constant in nature and human design which can be described using mathematics, but fractals, despite their complexity, or because of this are useful in many sciences including medicine.

Fractals are not just esoteric creations in maths labs but occur almost mundanely in nature. Clouds and ferns are fractals, as are those pointy shaped cauliflowers on sale in upmarket whole food shops.
All well and good, but when I looked into the mass of fractal crafts online, there is a vast range of patterns and examples of fractal knitting, quilting and needle point just for starters. But somehow I doubt that sig other is going to receive a fractal jersey for the dreaded December pressie fest from me. Any knitting I take up will have to be easier that all that, so it may be he will get a Dr Who scarf masquerading as a moebius strip.

No comments: