Recipe Reminders

This is for myself, so I don't forget what I did and then can recreate it at some future point.
I made this yesterday and it turned out really rather scrummy!

Gluten Free Chocolate Sponge
6oz Dove's Farm gluten free SR flour
2 oz cocoa powder (Fairtrade organic etc)
4 oz baking margerine (Stork)
2 medium eggs
2 oz brown sugar
5 tbs raspberry jam
enough milk to mix to soft dropping consistency

Sieve flour and cocoa together, then cream marg and sugar and beat eggs. Add one spoonful flour/cocoa and one spoonful eggs and beat together; repeat till all is incorporated. Then add milk and raspberry jam and mix till it is of the right consistency for cake. Divide between two sponge tins and bake in a moderate oven for 15-20 mins. Cool for ten mins before removing from the tins.

I think there is no one way to make a cake, so either experiment or stick with your favoured method, but use the above quantities, as gluten free baking is trickier than that using wheat flour.

Serendipitous chocolate goo
I'd planned to sandwich the cake together with buttercream icing, but found an almost empty packet of icing sugar in the cupboard. I had to get creative, as no shops are open on Ne'er Day to buy some more.

1/2 oz icing sugar
glug of date syrup
1/2 oz butter
as much broken up dark chocolate as you can be bothered to put in
Melt these ingredients and cool slightly before spreading on the sponge cake.

This nearly didn't reach the cake after I sampled it. It is fudgy and slightly sweet and just delectable.

Sig Other's Butternut Squash Bake
Layers of butternut squash and potato interspersed with creme freche and topped with Brazil nut crust. Bake for ages until soft and serve with braised celery. Very yummy!

Jerusalem Artichoke and Butterbean Soup
Scrub the JA's and slice
onion
carrot
vast amount of parsley
veg stock
veg oil
seasoning

Prepare veg and saute in veg oil before adding stock and cooking till the JA's are beginning to get soft, then add a tin of butterbeans and cook till done.

Haloumi Kebabs
Pretty simple - shove mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, onion, cubed Haloumi cheese onto skewers, coat with veg oil and huge amount of basil. If you are somewhere with a BBQ, then use that, otherwise into the oven for a wee while. I served this with rosemary roasted celeriac and chicory.

2 comments:

m said...

I'd never thought of putting raspberry jam in the cake mixture.. I thought you would have used it for the topping...

the butternut squash bake sounds fabulous and I must try it !

Jes said...

Oops! I forgot to mention that the butternut squash also had lots of Parmesan in it too.

As for the jam, I suppose you could make a very sticky cake by putting lots of jam into the mix. I might try that sometime.