Still tapping my toes!

I went to see Sunshine on Leith at the Festival Theatre. Brilliant! But I suppose you have to be a fan of the Proclaimers or at least have a passing familiarity with their music to really enjoy it. I say this because Sig Other came with me and eventually, (during the interval) I realised he didn't know any of their music, or at least didn't think he did. I'm not sure he appreciated it as much as I did.

The singing was excellent I thought, although the story, in common with most musicals was a bit strained in order to accommodate the songs.

The best thing was seeing my culture (with the obvious exception of the football bit) portrayed in front of me. I liked Mamma Mia (the film) and We Will Rock You (stage show) for the music, but somehow, and in spite of this not being London west end standard, Sunshine on Leith was more meaningful. The social commentary within the story added to the experience, and given the Proclaimers' politics which are so evident in their music, the story had to reflect that and it lifted the whole thing above the usual trivial (but fun) romance of those other shows. Andrew Lloyd Webber, it ain't!

Dundee rep performed the show:

http://www.dundeereptheatre.co.uk/w_sunshine2.htm

This is a fair review:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/2007/apr/28/theatre1

No comments: