Tuna Hugging


This appealed to my sense of the absurd.


I won't offend your or mine sense of good taste by displaying a pic of dead tuna at this Japanese market. The story is that tourists were banned from the tuna auction for a month because of their bad behaviour. At first I wondered if this behaviour was because of stroppy vegans protesting at catching endangered species of (or any) fish, but it was apparently because:

"Traders had often complained that camera flashes disrupted the bidding and that visitors had touched or even hugged the tuna while posing for souvenir photos."

Well, it gave me a laugh, but then I have a silly sense of humour. On the other hand tuna is over fished and although I don't know which species are sold at that market, national geographic has an interesting article about blue-fin scarcity here:

No comments: