Joan Mitchell, Abstract Impressionist

Inverleith House in the Royal Botanic Gardens is hosting an exhibition of JoanMitchell art work till October.  Mitchell's work is lauded in all the reviews I've read; most describing her as a top notch abstract impressionist and expressing surprise that this is the first solo British exhibition of her work.

I rarely see impressionist art, abstract or otherwise, therefore, I can only state that my viewing of her work is that of a novice, completely untutored in interpreting art. This no doubt is why I found it a difficult exhibition as it took a few goes round before any of it began to mean anything to me and for me to move on from my first thoughts. Rather negatively, I was assailed by a feeling that this type of work is what is usually derided as childish, a complete con, waste of money and so forth that I have grown up hearing from others equally untutored in viewing modern art.

However, I have always believed that there must be something of value in this type of art, so I kept looking, hoping to see what all the excitement is about. it took a bit of time, but I slowly began to appreciate some of the work, and one did stand out for me. I have no idea why, and I suspect abstract impressionism will never be a favourite.

Image above.

No comments: