Just when I thought it was all over ...

Although I'd succeeded fairly well in my aims to see as great a variety as possible over the festival period, the box marked 'official real actual culture' was blank, until I spotted an offer for half price tickets for Bliss, the new opera based on Peter Carey's book of the same name. This was on at the Festival Theatre as part of the International Festival programme, but only for a couple of nights.

I hadn't seen any opera for more years than I can recall, so I made sure I went to this.  And I quite enjoyed it. What really stood out for me was the stunning set of amazing light bulbs used to incredible effect to backdrop scenes and story. I liked the music and the immense cast (compared to all the one person shows I'd seen recently) were excellent, but the story failed to enthrall me.

Narratives based on women exploited in the SexIndustry who have a heart of gold and great wisdom who then selflessly save middle aged privileged males are boring, trite typical male fantasy. Dressing it up with terrific music does not redeem this.

Same old, same old.

No comments: