River views

Making the most of this welcome late summer, I've taken a few photos up river, down river and above river. The river being the Forth which is easily accessed by public transport and car.

This is the beach at Portobello mid afternoon and taken on my camera. The cloud formations were what attracted me to this view and the slight reflection in the shallows.


I took this on my phone at sunset while crossing the rail bridge. The sun was at a low angle and cast the shadow of the bridge onto the woodlands below.


This is up river at Carriden looking over to Fife early evening in full sun, but again taken with my phone camera.

There is a walk along the river side which is signposted by the Scottish Rights of Way Society, a charity set up in 1845 to make sure that ancient rights of way were preserved and not abused by landowners. According to their website:
Scotland has new and forward-looking legislation for public access to land, set out in Part 1 of the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003, which came into force in February 2005. This legislation gives the public wide-ranging statutory rights of access to land and inland water throughout Scotland. It builds on the Scottish traditions of access, on the network of long-established rights of way, and on other existing rights. The result is a modern approach to access which is among the best in Europe.

I was minimally aware that we have reasonable rights to roam our own country but I'm very impressed that people have been safeguarding those rights for so long.


Finally, sunset at North Queensferry back in June, the day after the solstice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pics. I love the one at Portobello beach - absolutely stunning cloudscape. Small fluffy cumulus - definitely cotton wool.

The 2003 Act had a lot of resistance from land owners (surprise) before it was passed. Gleneagles led the way. I think as a result you can't be nearer than so many metres to a habital building (or something like that).

Jes said...

You've jogged my memory about this and you're correct, there is no absolute right to wander anywhere, but mostly we can go where we want within reason.

Glad you like the Porty pic, it's an improvement over my usual photographic efforts.